The purpose of Mindings is to enable older people, who may not have regular contact with family and friends to stay in touch with them through the simple use of a tablet computer to which people can send photos, reminders, text messages etc.
The older person just has to touch the tablet computer screen to indicate that they have received the message – there is no logging-on or other actual typing required. We have been selected - along with Central Bedfordshire Council - to trial the initial phase and we are now looking for up to 20 local older people to take part in the project.
Those of us who have embraced social media and technology know how it helps us keep in touch with family and friends and this is an attempt to share those benefits with some older people who may be frightened by a computer or smartphone.
To get involved people need to be:
- At least 70 years of age
- Able to understand and sign a simple consent form
- Have lived in their current home for more than six months
- Have family or friends who they see less than once a fortnight
- Have friends and family who can send regular updates, message etc, depending on how the user wants to utilise Mindings
- Be willing to share their experience of the systems with the Mindings Research Team"