Wednesday 28 March 2012

Appointed as Cycling Champion for Cambridgeshire

London to Cambridge Bike Ride - 2009
I am on the front page of the Cambridge News today (I'll put link up when it goes on line) because of my new role as cycling champion for Cambridgeshire.

It is a role I volunteered for for a number of reasons.  Firstly, and probably most importantly, I am a keen cyclist.  But also, I have recognised some time ago that cycling is one of the areas where we can deliver a really positive Olympic legacy for the County, building on both the inevitable momentum that will come from the performance of our cyclists in London 2012 and the reputation of Cambridge as Britain's top cycling city.  Of course, we already have a genuine cycling Champion in Jody Cundy MBE - something else that could help promote cycling in the County. But for now, let's get behind him for London 2012.

It is also important that I focus on cycling safety, making sure it is embedded in our planning and highways work and I am sure over the next few months I will hear of many areas where there are issues.  I can't promise ot sort all of them - but I will promise to listen.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm sure this is totally obvious, but do listen to the Cambridge Cycling Campaign (of which I'm a member, but not involved in running it or anything). They have lots of good ideas and experience, and that applies way beyond the boundaries of Cambridge City. I leave 6 miles away from the city but have benefited from their input into various schemes both in and around the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. It is worth pointing it out to me - but of course I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It that your cycle helmet inside your t-shirt?

    ReplyDelete